Tuesday 10 June 2008

Project Statement & Rationale

Energy & the Environment



As a mature student I have seen many changes to our environment. Some, I must admit, are beneficial, such as the cleanliness of our rivers and the reduction in pesticides but unfortunately, on the whole and especially where energy is concerned we appear to be on a downhill spiral. We are the only species on the planet that expends energy, all other creatures and plants create a natural balance but our use of energy is escalating at an alarming rate. From the very first day we created fire we have abused the Earth and treated it as our own personal possession at the expense of nature. It appears to be universally accepted that we may have less than ten years in which to defuse an environmental time-bomb.
This has resulted in me treating this project with a great deal of passion and fervour which I hope shows in my work. I have aimed at making impactful photographs regardless of my views of the energy source and I would like to think that this is evident in my final selection. I believe public awareness to the energy problem in the form of images is stronger than text and it is for this reason that I have chosen this subject. It is through the quotes accompanying each image that I give the viewer an insight into my opinions. These quotes are broad and varied and add a further element for thought.
Of all the photographers work that I have examined relating to this project I must place Fay Godwin at the top of my list, not only for her excellent imagery and interpretations but also for her strong ethics on the subject of the environment and her love of the British countryside.
This project looks at a broad spectrum of energy used in Britain. There are other forms of energy such as solar, geothermal, wave and tidal, but taking into account my carbon footprint, I feel I have travelled far enough to obtain a good selection of energy sources. As a result the images and captions are left for the viewer to draw their own conclusions as to what is beneficial to the Environment and what is detrimental. People now have the choice of where their energy comes from by selecting their energy provider accordingly. I have no intention of trying to preach what is good and what is bad but I would be delighted if my images gave people reason to think about the subject.
Pat Butler
2008

No comments: